Liability Coverage for APRA Chapter Officers and Directors
APRA provides liability insurance coverage as a benefit to chapters. The officers, directors and committee members, whether they are volunteers or paid employees of the chapter, are covered by the APRA policy. This liability insurance is intended to protect chapter leadership from civil suits that could be brought by members or non-members.
The Association Professional Liability Insurance (APLI) plan is specifically designed to meet the unique insurance needs of nonprofit associations and societies.
For covered claims, APLI offers these features after your chapter’s deductible (which is $2,500):
- Leadership Coverage – APLI insures your association and its board members, directors and officers, all employees (paid staff), all committee members and even volunteers acting at the direction of the association.
- Coverage Limits – The basic policy provides you with $1,000,000 coverage per incident and $1,000,000 of annual aggregate coverage.
- Errors and Omissions Coverage – The plan covers lawsuits resulting from any actual or alleged wrongful act including errors, omissions, negligent acts, or breach of duty by the insureds while performing the chapter's business. Incidents involving antitrust, price fixing, restrain of trade, discrimination, violations of the American’s with Disability Act and personal injury such as libel, defamation, and invasion of privacy are also included.
- Employment Practices Liability – APLI includes Employment Practices Liability Coverage to protect your association and its members from claims against you for actual or alleged cases of: discrimination, sexual or racial harassment, interference with or breach of any employment contract and wrongful termination.
- 100% Indemnification – The policy pays 100% of any covered loss or claim expense in excess of the $2,500 deductible up to the limit of liability.
- Pays Claim Expense – The plan pays all claims expenses incurred in the course of defending a covered lawsuit up to the limit of liability. Claims expense is included within the limit of liability.
General Liability Coverage
When contracting to use some meeting facilities, chapters may be asked if they carry general liability insurance. APRA International's policy provides coverage for chapter events. Chapter leaders need to contact APRA and provide the date, time, location, estimated attendance and contact person for the chapter meeting. APRA will then forward that information to the insurance carrier, who will generate a Certificate of Insurance to cover that specific event. Please allow at least 5 business days to obtain a certificate. Contact the APRA office, (312) 321-5196 for more information about this coverage.