APRA History: 1998
The APRA Foundation Bylaws were adopted. The purpose of the Foundation was to "support educational opportunities and professional development for individuals engaged in advancement research and to serve as the charitable arm" of APRA.
A revised Ethics Statement was approved by the APRA Board.
Paulette Persinger, President
Carol McConaghy Thorp, First VP/Corporate Relations Chair
Michel Hudson, Second VP/Conference Chair
Christina Pulawski, Secretary
Katharine Fultz, Treasurer/Ethics Chair
Diane Crane, Chapter Services Director
James Bennetts, Marketing Director
Napoleon Hendrix III, Membership Services Director
Jon Thorsen, New Initiatives Director
Karen Greene, Professional Development Director
Christine Lockmon, Publications Director
August 5–8, 1998
Over 750 attend the 11th annual conference, Research on the Riverwalk: The Best Little Conference in Texas, in San Antonio, Texas. Regional touches included a Mariachi band at the reception and an optional bus trip to historic Gruene. The Model Library included an online Web site for the first time.
- Keynotes: Gary Hoover, founder of Reference Press (Hoover’s), BOOKSTOP Inc., and TravelFest Superstores Inc.; and Martha Whitehead, former Texas State Treasurer and Director of Special Programs for the University of Texas Health Center at Tyler.
- Conference Volunteers: Michel Hudson, Conference Chair; Rita Ramirez McFadden, Model Librarian; Mary Wolcott, Computer Lab; Sandi Cooley, Dean of Volunteers; Jeanne Anderson, Hospitality Chair; Track Chairs were Nancy Cohen, Sandy Graf, Sharla LaFollette, Nancy Petruso, Pamela Smith, and Amy Walling
- APRA Service Award: (sponsored by Bentz Whaley Flessner) Randy Bunney
- Margaret Fuhry Grant: (First award recipient) Gina Garrett
The APRA Foundation raised over $15,000 in gifts and pledges, enabling the Foundation to endow the Margaret Fuhry Grant much earlier than anticipated.
Connections Themes and Editors
Net Worth, Janet M. Bennett; Information Management, Margo Knight and David Sterling; Prospect Identification, Steven Hupp; and Special Constituencies, Poonam Prasad.
Membership is just under 1,700.
Linda Tripp Reveals Secret Tapes of Her and Monica Lewinsky's Girl Talk
President Clinton Denies Having Sexual Relations with 21-Year-Old Lewinsky
House Impeaches President for Perjury and Obstruction of Justice
Chrysler and Daimler Benz Merge
Northern Ireland Peace Agreement is Reached
Forbes' World's Richest — Top Three
- Bill Gates; U.S.; computer software; $51 billion
- Walton Family; U.S.; retailing; $27.6 billion
- Sultan Hassan al Bolkiah; Brunei; oil and gas; $36 billion
Click the years below to read more APRA history.
1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997
1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008
2009 2010 2011 2012